Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day


We had a great first day of 2010! Jesse made us breakfast then we headed to the Valley Mall (yeah, like, I know) for some New Year's Day shopping. Olivia is such a good little shopper. She so patient and loves talking to all the people around her. While we were in Yankee Candle I let her smell the candles but I don't think she got the concept because she tried to eat one. Ha!

When we got home we watched Penn State beat LSU in the Capital One Bowl and Jesse set up our new highboy. I love it! Once Olivia started standing it didn't take her long to figure out she could touch the TV. Now it's nice and high. Sorry no pictures yet. I still need to decorate the walls around it. Olivia and I have more shopping to do tomorrow.

Olivia got to talk to her Spivey grandparents on Skype today. She's still a little unsure about it. I don't think she understands why there are voices talking to her from the computer. She's more interested in banging on the keyboard right now.

For dinner Jesse had his tradition New Year's Day meal, pork and sauerkraut. Yuck! I do not like sauerkraut. For New Year's Day I prefer black eyed peas and ham. But I love my hubby and I'm not superstitious about what I eat the first day of the year. I just take my piece of pork out before I add the sauerkraut. For dessert I made Snickers Pie. Yum! It's the easy dessert I've ever made.

1 graham cracker pie crust
4 king sized Snickers bars
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 tablespoons half and half
4 cups cool whip

In the top of a double boiler, melt candy bars, peanut butter, and half-and-half, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Fold in whipped topping, pour into crust, and freeze for 4 to 6 hours before serving. When ready to serve, top with additional whipped topping and drizzle with chocolate syrup.



My grandmother gave me Paula Deen's Lady and Sons Just Desserts Cookbook a couple of years ago and I adore it. I recently watched the movie Julie and Julia. It was very cute and I loved the concept of trying all those new recipes except I find French cooking a little to difficult. However, I could see myself trying all of Paula Deen's recipes. Except she loves butter and I'd like to lose some weight this year. Ha! Maybe I'll try one a month.

No comments: