Sunday, May 23, 2010

Freezing Breakfast

This weekend I realized we were in a breakfast rut when Olivia refused to eat her banana.  She typically has a banana with Cheerios or scrambled eggs.  Apparently she's had enough with bananas because all she did was throw it off her tray.  Jesse and I are in a rut.  He never eats breakfast and mine is usually a bagel from Panera or a zip lock bag of dry cereal.  So it's time for a makeover.  I don't have time to cook breakfast during the week so I decided that I'd cook a month worth of breakfast items today (man I'm tired).  Everything I made I  froze so we could grab it and run.

Oven French Toast- The sample I had was very good. I think Livie and I will have it for breakfast tomorrow.  They are more French toast fingers which makes travel easier.  
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins- I think these are my favorite.  Liv and I had one with lunch.  The recipe makes 2 1/2 dozen so we have plenty to eat.  
Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits- The recipe calls for a glaze.  At first I wasn't going to use one but the biscuits are much better with it.  I think it's because there is no sugar in biscuit.  
Sausage Egg Muffins- I actually made two batches of these muffins.  I added minced garlic instead of powder and cheese.  One of the batches I also added a can of Rotel.  The recipe doesn't say but it's best if you fill the muffin pan almost to the top.  The eggs don't rise that much.  Also I just added the meat to the mixture instead of adding it at the end.  
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins- I had a boxed mix that was about to expire so I added it to my baking list.  I honestly believe making something from scratch is just as easy as getting it out of the box.  

While I was in the baking mood I also made two batches of granola bars in hopes that I won't have to make them every week (like I have been doing).  

For each of my recipes I used cup cake liner in an effort to reduce the amount of dishes in the sink.  I also added ground flax seed for some fiber and omega3.  Each week I'm also going to make a fruit cocktail to accompany breakfast instead of just banana.  Although it was a lot of work I love the idea of only cooking one (maybe two) day a month and not having to worry about breakfast.    Next month I want to try pancake and breakfast burrito.  Next week I'm hoping to tackle preserving strawberries and freezing dinner.  

No comments: