Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Homemade: Vanilla Pudding

I was at the grocery store last week and Nilla Wafers were on sale and I instantly started craving Banana Pudding.  So I picked up a box of wafers, instant pudding and bananas.  When I got home to make the Banana Pudding I decided to try a homemade vanilla pudding recipe instead of using a box.  After some research I found a pudding that doesn't require eggs.  The recipe was very easy and yummy.  I will definitely use homemade pudding over instant pudding from now on.  

2 cups milk (I used organic 1%)
1/2 sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter

In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until bubbles form at edges. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into hot milk, a little at a time, stirring to dissolve. Continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into serving dishes. Chill before serving.
Now for those of you that don't know what Banana Pudding is... shame on you! Recently I made it for my In-Laws and was shocked to find out they didn't know what it was and didn't even try it.  They just looked at it funny.  Banana Pudding is my favorite childhood dessert.  My Granny makes the best Banana Pudding.  We never had a family meal without it.  

It's a super easy and delicious dessert.  Banana Pudding is best with some ripe bananas.  All you have to do is layer your ingredients (Nilla Wafers, bananas and pudding).  Finish up with wafers on top.  Refrigerate your Banana Pudding for a least one hour but it's best overnight.  You can also make it fancy by adding whipped cream on top or add a can of sweet condensed milk to your pudding or bake a meringue on top, but for me all you need are three simple ingredients.  

So tell me have you heard of Banana Pudding or did you try out this recipe?  Isn't it so yummy?  

No comments: