Sunday, September 12, 2010

Are You Ready for Some Football?

My hubby likes college football but LOVES the NFL.  Today kicks off the NFL season (technically it was Thursday).  I married into a Steelers family. Everyone in Jesse's family is very serious about the team.  Olivia's very excited to watch the first Steelers game of the season

Over the past couple of years I've perfected football Sunday.  Dinner is cooked in a crock pot so I don't have to worry about timing a dinner with half time.  We also don't really do lunch instead we have a dip or as Jesse refers to it as "football food".  This Sunday's menu: Bacon Horseradish Dip and Broccoli Cheddar Soup.

Bacon Horseradish Dip
6 sliced of bacon, crumbled reserve 2 tsp of bacon grease
16 oz- sour cream
4 green onion, sliced
1/3 cup horseradish

Mix everything together and let it marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.  Serve with chips or veggies.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
1 pound cooked, shredded chicken
16 oz- frozen broccoli
1 qt- chicken broth
3 cups milk
1/2 diced onion
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 package shredded cheddar cheese

Add all the ingredients in the crock pot (except the cheese).  Cook on low for 8 hours.  20 minutes before serving add the cheese and stir.

I found this recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking last year.  As soon as I made it this time I remembered there are some changes I want to make to the recipe.  For one we add chicken and I don't use fancy cheese.  The next time I make it I'm going to wait and add the chicken with the cheese.  Cooking the chicken from the beginning causes the soup to become more like a broth.  I'm not a fan of condensed soup but I think I might add a can of cheddar cheese soup to help cheese up the soup.  Jesse's suggestion is to add rice to the soup.  We've having leftover soup tomorrow so I'm going to add it with dinner tomorrow.
I hope everyone had a happy football Sunday.  The Steelers won so we're off to a good season!

1 comment:

Mama Feather said...

Go Steelers!! Love the outfit!