Tuesday, February 22, 2011

{sleep} training

Last week while Jesse was out of town the girls went on a sleep strike.  Olivia refused to go to bed and Emily would be up all night.  I think I was get about 3-4 hours of sleep each night.  Even our cat went on sleep strike.  Then this happened and we had a whole new ball game.
Once she discovered that she could climb out of her crib there was no stopping her.  The day Jesse got home Liv fell while climbing out of her crib so the next morning she was the proud new owner of a toddler bed.

Now we're trying to teach Olivia how to sleep in a toddler bed.  It's not been an easy week.  She wakes up in the middle of the night, wanders around her room and doesn't go back to sleep...til nap time.  ugh.  This is what happens at nap time.  She pulls out all her toys and eventually falls asleep on the floor.
The night before Olivia moved to her toddler bed, I decided it was a good idea {sleep deprived} to start sleep training Emily to sleep unswaddled.  One night she'll sleep from 7 pm-6 am the next night she's up every 1-2 hours.  Thankfully she only need to be shushed and patted back to sleep.  But doing that 7-8 times a night becomes exhausting {there are 52 steps from my bed to her crib}. Since she's becoming more active she's moving around her crib in the middle of the night and waking herself up. Most mornings I find her sideways in her crib.
So here we are this morning at 4:30 am, both girls bright eyed and ready to start the day.  Me, not so much.  I think I got two hours of sleep last night.
I'm on my second pot of coffee, eagerly waiting for Olivia to close her eyes so I we can take a nap.  I hate days like this.  I'm so tired I can't think straight so the tv is on more than it should be and all we do is read.  I don't have the energy to do anything else {I call these bad mom days}. But, before we know it they'll be teenagers refusing to get out of bed...right?  Or at least that's what Jesse and I keep telling ourselves.
Project 52: Glimpse Into Motherhood

14 comments:

Nelly said...

Oh my goodness! I would have a heart attack (knock on wood!) if I caught my little one climbing out of her crib. Hang in there!

Jill said...

Oh you poor thing! I NEED my sleep and I'm not happy if I don't get it. Hopefully they start sleeping well again soon.

Sarah said...

So sorry! That is exhausting. Hope you get some rest soon!

Lisa said...

Oh wow! I'm so worried about my daughter trying to climb out of her crib.

Seizing My Day said...

It is amazing what little sleep you can live on... sad... but amazing!! My little baby boy woke every 2 hours for 3 years... yep... 3 years... then it was every 4 hours for another 2... (does that make you feel alittle better??) I always used to say... it could be worse... it made me feel better... at age 3 they realized he had reflux... Oh Mercy.. the sleep I could have had...I am not bitter... anymore... =) I hope next week brings you more rest and less caffeine!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

That is exhausting. My little boy (3) still sleeps on the floor from time to time.

Jenny said...

my first never climbed out of his crib...we changed him to a toddler bed cuz he got too heavy for me to pick up.....my second though---I think we had to transition him to a toddler bed before or just after he was two because of climbing! I hope your sweet girls start sleeping better for you so you can get some rest too! It's so hard being a good mommy when you are exhausted!

Fancy Fonts said...

Yikes! Hopefully you get all of the sleep issues knocked out at one time...I remember how hard getting rid of the swaddle was with my 2. Good luck!

Kristi said...

Oh no, you poor thing!! I don't know what I would do if I found my Madi climbing out of her crib! She's so not ready for a toddler bed! Or maybe I should say Mommy is not ready for that! Try to take a nap, you poor thing!

Cute pictures though!!!

Mama Mama Quite Contrary said...

The photo of her asleep face down on the floor is priceless. Hope you get some rest soon.

Kimberlee said...

Ugh, that transition from crib to toddler bed is a dewsey. When we transitioned with my son he would no longer take naps. No way, no how. And since the big boy bed didn't confine him like a crib we kissed nap-time goodbye. About when I was ready to give up, and threatened to put back up his crib so we could all get a little sleep, he mastered the toddler bed. Thank goodness. Hope yours masters it soon, as well.

MommaHarms said...

I feel your pain! I do not function well on lack of sleep, so we have had those 'bad mommy' days before too!

Rachel said...

Wow, I am not looking forward to the whole toddler bed training....I have a feeling it is going to be quite a task with my little one. I am so sorry you are not getting sleep, there is nothing worse than being sleep deprived!!! I am wishing you better luck this week!

Ashley Renee said...

My daughter JUST figured out she can get a foot over the rail of her crib. It's only a matter of time before she can climb out. We're thinking about switching to the toddler bed too, but for the reasons you just showed, we keep holding off because we get decent sleep right now!