Wednesday, June 8, 2011

{square foot} garden

We've had a vegetable garden for the past three summers and have always had great success but we hated weeding it. So this year we decided to try something new. A few year ago I bought a book on Square Foot Gardening. Jesse and I really like the method so we decided to give it a try. My Stepfather made our box during their visit in April and we planted our garden May 14th. {up here our growing season starts on May 10th}
May 14th
Our box has sixteen different squares. We planted a ton of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash and carrot seeds. I think we could have easily used another box but we decided to take it slow this year. 
May 30th
Our first tomato
According to the book, the secret to SFG is Mel's Magic Mix. It's a combination of compost, vermiculite and peat moss. I have to say we're amazed by how well our garden is growing. If anything it's growing a little to well.
Today
We've got two tomatoes. Yippee! 
I know it's insane right? I'm really looking forward to some yummy veggies this summer.

Do you have vegetable garden? Have you tried SFG?

3 comments:

Abra said...

wow--that is awesome! i have always wanted a garden, but we don't have a very good yard for it, plus i hate to admit it, i don't have a green thumb! but maybe someday!

Nelly & her Nerd said...

new blog design looks great! I've always wanted to try SQ FT Gardening.

Sarah said...

How awesome. We have cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, squash and zucchini. Mostly just lined up next to our fence. This looks great though.