Monday, June 13, 2011

{summer} reading

Last week Olivia and I signed up for a summer reading program hosted by our county library system. She gets points for every book she I read. Then she can turn in her points for a prize. I'm sure she'll love whatever prize she gets but I also want to increase her love of reading.

Olivia loves to read books throughout the day and at bedtime. We had a bookcase in her room with tons of books for her to choose from but I noticed that even though all the books were on the floor at the end of the day we were still reading the same books over and over again. So we got rid of her bookcase and made her a book sling instead. Now she can see her books and know exactly which one she wants. We've limited her books to five and rotate them every week. We moved her bookcase to the basement so when it's time to rotate all her books are in one place.
The Noisy Airplane Ride by Mike Downs
I Fly by Ann Rockwell
Fly Away! by Helen and Kelly Oechsli
Beach is to Fun by Pat Brisson
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault

This week she has two of her own books and three from the library. Since we're flying tomorrow we've been taking a lot about airplanes. We're also reading about the beach {since that's where we're going} and her beloved Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. It's always the first book she picks up to read.

What are you reading this week? Are you doing a summer reading program?

Linking to The Imagination Tree's 5 a Day Books.

3 comments:

http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ said...

Have a fun safe trip. I have noticed that our reading shelves made a huge change in what C reads. Love it!

Anna @ The Imagination Tree said...

I LOVE your sling bookshelf! What a great idea. I agree that having books facing outwards promotes much more independence in self-selecting books. We have ours in baskets for that reason, but your shelf is brill!

Elle Belles Bows said...

I am glad that I saw the post that you moved!

Lots of great book ideas! Our book list is about to explode, but I think that is a good thing!

I love your book sling too! May need to give it a try!

Take care,
Kerri