Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Butter {in a jar}

A couple of months ago I saw a post on how to make butter in a jar. I knew it was something that we had to try. Olivia loves to shake things and this is all about shaking. We finally did it and I have to say it was a lot of fun. It's not something we'll do all the time {it's not very cost effective} but whenever we have extra heavy cream you better believe we're gonna shake it into butter. Ready to make butter? It's so super easy. All you need is heavy cream, a jar with a lid and an eager toddler ready to do some shaking.
Fill your jar 3/4 full with heavy cream, put on the lid and shake, shake, shake. You're going to shake the jar for 15-20 minutes. Olivia shook the jar for about 30 seconds before she got bored. So I did all the work. But every couple of minutes she'd come back to offer a quick shake. So what did I do during my 20 minutes of shaking? Baked a cake {don't be impressed it was a box cake}, got out ingredients to make homemade ice cream and sat on the kitchen floor singing "Wheels on the Bus". 

Now back to the butter. Towards the end of your time you won't hear the liquid moving around in the jar. If you open it you'll find out why. Your cream is now whipped cream. Mmmm. But don't stop there. Put the lid back on and shake for another five minutes. Now you'll hear a ball moving around in the jar. Yay, you've got butter. Open the jar and pour the excess liquid into a bowl {it's buttermilk}. Shake the butter some more until it's a smooth ball. Drain your liquid again and put the butter in a bowl. Run water over your butter until your liquid is clear. Spread your butter over some toast and enjoy.

What did I do with the buttermilk you ask? I made pancakes of course. No lemon juice in water for me. Thank.You.Very.Much.

As fun as this was I can't wait to do it again with both girls when they are older. It's going to be a great science experiment.

Linking to: Life Made LovelySugar and Dots, Delicate Construction, Naptime CraftersThirty Handmade Days, No Time for Flashcards, Made By Little HandsIt's Playtime, Smile Monster

6 comments:

Sunny Vanilla said...

I made butter for the first time in my life a few months ago and we did it the same way you've done. It's so cool! Thanks for sharing :-) Stopping by from 30 handmade days.

Smallgood said...

I remember doing this in the classroom. And I have the same dishes as you do! Love them.

Grumplestilskin said...

My kids would love this, and they're a little bit older than Liv. Thanks for sharing it.

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

What a fun idea!! Homemade butter yummm!

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Made by Little Hands Monday!! I appreciate it! I loved this so much I featured it this week so come by my blog tomorrow evening and check it out!
Thanks again!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Sharlene T. said...

Lordy, haven't done butter, this way, in a hundred years! But, it's fun to watch the change. Hello from It's a Keeper Thursday. Come visit when you can.