Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chicken Bog {with fixin'}

It's been a couple of weeks since our South Carolina vacation and I've been craving some home cooking. There are many southern foods that I ADORE and Jesse refuses to eat {boiled peanuts, fried orka, shrimp and grits...}. Thankfully we both can agree that Chicken Bog is yummy! At out house {same as when I grew up} Chicken Bog is served with tomato sandwiches, pickles and a glass of sweet tea.
First up: tomato sandwich. I love tomato sandwiches. I could eat them everyday. When I started making my own tomato sandwiches, as an adult, they didn't taste right. After talking to my mom I realized that the mayo is just as important as the tomato. For my tomato sandwich I use Duke's Mayonnaise. It's perfect. So to make your sandwich you just need to put some Duke's {or your mayo of choice} on two slices of bread, add tomato slices, salt and pepper to taste, cover and refrigerate. I think the sandwiches taste better once the tomato and mayo have had time to marry.

Next up: Chicken bog. This is such a simple, one pot, recipe. This is my quick get dinner on the table recipe but if you've got time to cook a whole chicken then check out the official Chicken Bog Festival recipe {yep, it's so good there's a festival, or as they call it bog-off, celebrating it}.

1 1/2 pounds of shredded chicken
1 pound of smoked sausage, sliced
1 onion, diced
3 cups of rice
6 cups of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Dump everything into a large pot and bring it to a boil. Once it's at a rolling boil, you can't stir it down, turn your heat to simmer and cover the pot. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes. If you like a little kick, serve your bog with some hot sauce.

Now for the pickles. I grew up eating them with bread and butter pickles {yum}. But tonight we had my homemade sweet lime pickles {I'll have a recipe for you when I make a new batch this year}.
Don't forget about your sweet tea. We always have a pitcher of this in the house, after all I am from the south. I remember during my first visit to PA my mother-in-law asked what I wanted to drink and I said "sweet tea" and she said "what's that?" Ha! Can you believe I still moved up here? Anyhoo, my favorite glass of sweet tea is always the first one out of the pitcher, when it's still hot. I like to fill a glass up with ice and pour the hot tea over it. It's a perfect mix of hot, cold and sweet. Try it. You'll be hooked.

So tell me have you ever heard of chicken bog, Duke's mayo or drinking hot sweet tea over ice?

Linking to: Life Made LovelyMess Hall to Bistro, Someday CraftsSugar and DotsThirty Handmade Days, It's a Keeper

7 comments:

Anna @ Sometimes On Tuesdays said...

I can say I have heard of sweet tea! The rest I haven't. But, the chicken bog looks good and I will have to try it. What kind of sausage do you buy?

shopannies said...

sweet tea is a best friend of this southern girl the chicken bog sounds great as well and I will have to give it a try come by http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

Jen said...

I've never heard of chicken bog, but it sounds awesome! Thanks for linking up with Made From Scratch Tuesday!

Desi said...

I haven't heard of a chicken bog either. Learn something new everyday! I wanted to invite you over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

Life Of A Southern Couple - Brittany said...

Duke's is the best! Especially on Tomato sandwiches! One of the best things about summer! :)

http://lifeofasoutherncouple.blogspot.com/

KB said...

Looks delish.

We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

Amy said...

Never heard of Dukes mayo (but I Lurve me some mayonnaise and since I am going to georgia next week I believe that a trip to a grocery will be in order to get some of that) Never heard of chicken bog (but I think it sounds amazing) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE tomato sandwich's tomatoes straight form the garden.. heaven.
gotta try the sweet tea first glass.... sounds delish!