Monday, August 1, 2011

Dinner at Eight {picnic}

Jesse and I have been together for 13 years {married for almost 11 of those years}. We spent 10 1/2 of those years as a childless couple. Then within two years we had two beautiful girls. As all parents of small kiddos know it's easy to forget your spouse. Most days we're just trying to survive. Once the girls are asleep we both I pass out.

Last year we participated in Project 52: Date Night. We had a lot of fun and it was great to reconnect. It was fun finding out what date Jesse had planned for us. My favorite was our "at-home concert". But once Emily was born we were in survival {colic} mode again. We've had dates here and there but nothing like our once weekly dates. Something else always comes up.

Rebekah at a bit of sunshine has been doing a monthly Dinner at Eight with her husband this year. I've loved some of her date ideas and when she put out a challenge to others to do dates as well I knew it was time to start dating my hubby again.

July's date challenge was a pretty picnic. So Sunday night after the girls went to bed we had a picnic in the backyard. It was so much fun. Jesse set out a blanket so we could look at the stars. Since it was cloudy we used Google Sky Map to find some stars.

It's so important to make the time to connect. I've found it makes us happier and makes us better parents.

No comments: