I love thumbprint cookies because it is a simple cookie that can be changed with very little effort (just change the color of the sprinkles). I had a lot of pink and red sprinkles and sugar, so I had a nice variety of Valentine cookies. Of course the girls loved the pink ones. I'm hoping my 52 smiles recipients enjoyed them too.
Chocolate Valentine Thumbprint Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sprinkles or colored sugar
24 milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.
3. Add sugar, egg and vanilla until combined.
4. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
6. Roll balls in sprinkles to coat.
7. Place balls 2 inches apart on your lined cookie sheets and, using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
8. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie’s center. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.